Doctoral students are required to complete 45 credits in graduate coursework related to a defined area of specialization, plus a maximum of 18 credits of dissertation research after being elevated to candidacy. Depending on the area of emphasis, students may be required to demonstrate knowledge of a second language.
Applying to this program
- Deadline: January 15
- Temple University Supplemental Application: Required
- GPA: Not required
- GRE: Required; scores on the verbal and quantitative sections are expected to fall at or above the 50th percentile
- TOEFL: Required; 79 iBT or 550 PBT minimum
- College Level Transcripts: Required
- References: Required; three, professional/academic, one letter must be from a previous professor, advisor, or research supervisor
- Resume/CV: Required
- Statement of Goals: Required; approximately 500 to 1,000 words address your background, your academic and professional goals, and the fit of your interests with the program
- Additional Requirements: Writing Sample; writing sample must expository in nature, e.g., a chapter of a thesis, a convention paper, and/or a paper from senior undergraduate or master's level coursework, should be submitted.
- Advanced Standing: The student's advisor recommends advanced standing to the department based on a review of prior coursework and experience. The maximum number of advanced standing credits awarded is 30.