The Health Informatics (HI) certificate is a 12-credit online certificate designed to teach you the skills you will need to advance in your current position or move into this expanding career path. You will learn hands-on skills by industry leaders using state of the art electronic health record systems. The HI certificate program is designed to expand your understanding of HIPAA privacy and security, Health Information Exchanges and HI standards, and EHRs and Management of Information Technology.
The program is designed to run 100% online and students are encouraged to take classes together in groups. This approach facilitates career networking and enhances the learning environment as you collaborate with colleagues and classmates in different disciplines and organizations.
Click here for more information related to the courses in the HI certificate.
Will I receive college credit for the courses?
Each course in the certificate is 3 credit hours and each course will appear on your transcript at Temple University.
Does the certificate articulate to a MS in Health Informatics (MSHI)?
If you have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 in the certificate courses, the credits earned will transfer to Temple University’s MSHI degree. You will be accepted into the MSHI and you will have satisfied 4 of the 10 required courses in the degree. Based on your educational and professional background, you may also need to take up to three pre-requisite courses to provide an overview of the body of knowledge in health information. Depending on scheduling, you could complete your degree in one year. Temple’s MSHI program is one of only five CAHIIM (Commission on Health Informatics and Information Management Education) accredited programs in the U.S.
To apply you will need the following items.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 in a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Complete this Inquiry Form
Complete and collect the following documentation:
- Temple University Graduate Application
- 2 professional recommendations. Recommendations must be submitted using the recommendation form. The evaluator should be someone who you know in a professional capacity such as a faculty member, a supervisor, a colleague, a co-worker in another department who interacts with you on a professional capacity, etc.
- Current CV or resume.
- Official transcripts from all universities and colleges from which you attended credit-bearing classes. Transcripts must be original and sent directly to Temple University in a sealed envelope from the original source.
- Route the application, resume, and your references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Route the original transcripts to:
Division of Health Information Management
College of Public Health
Ritter Annex 524
1301 Cecil B. Moore Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6091
Attention: Post-BS in Health Informatics Applications
*Temple’s application fee is waived for certificate