Transformation starts here.
A career in social work is about more than the skills you have—it’s about your compassion and commitment to social justice and change. Temple’s Online Master of Social work (MSW) gives you the training and mentorship you need to make it happen.
Our skills-based curriculum offers clinical and macro concentrations, as well as health/mental health and child & family specializations. With Temple’s Online MSW, you’ll be equipped to analyze problems and develop interventions through a systems perspective, considering the interaction of individual, family, community, organizational and policy factors.
Why an Online MSW?
Temple’s Online MSW is built for working professionals who want the same high-quality education that Temple offers in its in-person programs.
- Perfect for students returning to the classroom while balancing work and family
- Classes taught by the same expert faculty as in our on-campus classes, and designed according to best practices in online education
- Low student-to-faculty ratio gives you personalized instruction and advising
- Our strong community ties bring real-world issues and agencies into the virtual classroom
- Online students have access to Temple’s libraries, writing center, career center, and other resources to help you hit the ground running
- Option to complete dual MSW-MPH degree online
What will my Temple MSW do for me?
Thanks to the versatility of Temple’s Online MSW degree, our graduates are prepared for leadership roles in government, schools, primary care clinics, nonprofit organizations, community organizing efforts and more. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects employment of social workers to grow 12 percent from 2014 to 2024—faster than the average for all occupations—driven by increased demand for healthcare and social services.
Temple MSW graduates can also tap into our 10,000-strong alumni network of national, regional and local leaders in human service and social change organizations—a powerful source of connections and expertise.
Online MSW program structure
The Online MSW program is a total of 60 credits completed part-time over three years. Students reserve one evening a week for live classes. Academic advising, group meetings and fieldwork sessions throughout the program will be scheduled throughout the program.
Temple’s Online MSW gives you the flexibility you need, thanks to our three-part learning structure:
- Live streaming course delivery featuring live chats, breakout rooms and discussion boards
- Asynchronous online learning that allows you to complete work on your schedule
- Local fieldwork practicum in your own community, driven by your interests and guided by Temple’s expert fieldwork advisors.
A pre-program orientation lets you meet the program faculty and prepares you for the technology you’ll use in the program (view technology requirements here). One brief residency requirement (at the beginning of the second year) focuses on intensive skill-building, internship orientation and professional advising.
Tuition is calculated on a per-credit basis. For more information about tuition, please visit the Temple University Bursar’s Office website.
Temple University’s Master of Social Work is a CSWE-accredited program. Students who complete the program can be eligible to sit for the ASWB social work licensing exam after graduation. Temple University is able to offer this online program through its participation in SARA.
Please contact us if you have questions or concerns related to updates on out-of-state enrollment into this program, site placement possibilities, or social work professional licensure. You may also find state by state social work licensing requirements and more information here: http://www.