To apply for the PhD in Kinesiology, you must have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25. Most applicants have master’s degrees in biological sciences, exercise science, kinesiology, medicine, physical therapy, physiology or another related field.
Prospective students for this PhD program are encouraged to contact potential research mentors in the Department of Kinesiology to learn about current research program and position openings and to discuss potential research topics prior to application submission.
- Application: You will apply using SOPHAS Centralized Application Service. The documents required below will all be submitted through this SOPHAS system.
- Official Transcripts: Submit transcripts from all of the undergraduate and graduate institutions you’ve attended. Please mail all of your official transcripts to:
- SOPHAS Transcript Processing Center
- PO Box 9111
- Watertown, MA 02471
- References: You will need three letters of reference. The letters should come from college/university faculty or an immediate work supervisor who can provide insight into your abilities and talents, as well as comment on your aptitude for graduate study.
- Goals statement: This statement should be one to two pages in length.
- A GRE or MAT score is required. Official GRE scores should be sent directly to SOPHAS using code 0151.
- A current professional résumé is required for admission.
- Writing Sample is required. Specific topic is flexible, but should be relevant to Kinesiology. No more than 15 pages in length.
- Interview: May be required.
Additional requirements for international students
- TOEFL: For applicants whose native language is not English, the TOEFL is required with a minimum score of 79 on the iBT. These scores should be sent officially to SOPHAS using the SOPHAS-specific TOEFL code of: 5688.
- A WES Evaluation (www.wes.org) is required for applicants who completed their degree outside of the United States. This can be requested and submitted through SOPHAS.
Fall term: March 1st