Health Services Administration and Policy

Top Watermark

MSHI FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Financial Aid and Tuition

Is there financial aid available for MSHI students?
Financial Aid may be available for MSHI studentsPlease contact the Financial Aid OfficeWe would encourage you to speak to Rozina McFadden, Senior Financial Aid Counselor at or at 215-707-4448

Can I apply for financial aid if I am non-matriculated student?
If you intend to pursue a MSHI degree, you may be eligible to apply for financial aid. Please contact the Financial Aid Office. You will also need to complete a non-matriculated application form.

How much will the program cost?
The tuition for the MSHI program is based on the University's tuition schedule which can be found on the Bursar's Office homepage. Please note the program is offered through the College of Public Health (CPH) so tuition is based on the CPH part-time rates. The tuition is also adjusted based on whether you are a Pennsylvania resident. Please note there are fees, including application fees, that will be applied. 

Prior Experience Requirements:

Do I need prior IT or clinical experience or education?
While a background in IT or prior experience as a clinician may prove helpful when competing for a position, neither is required for admission into the program.

Job Opportunities:

What types of jobs would I expect to be eligible to apply for with a MSHI versus a BSHIM?
For a sense of the different career paths and job opportunities, please see

RHIA exam:

Am I eligible to sit for the RHIA exam after completing the MSHI program?
No. If you are interested in sitting for the RHIA exam, you should consider Temple's BS in HIM program.


Do I need to send all of my transcripts even if I received my baccalaureate degree from Temple?
Yes. To apply to the MS in HI program you must submit all of your prior transcripts for any education beyond high school including courses taken at a community college or any other college, even if it was just one course or the course was taken at Temple University.

What types of transcripts are required?
You must submit an original transcript either delivered by mail in a sealed envelope from the originating school or you can hand deliver the transcript in a sealed envelope from the originating school. We cannot accept fax, email, or copies of transcripts. We also cannot accept original transcripts which are in an opened envelope.

Where should transcripts be sent?
Official copies of each transcript should be sent to:

Temple University                  
Department of Health Services Administration and Policy
College of Public Health
Ritter Annex 524
1301 Cecil B. Moore Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6091

If I already have a graduate degree, do I still need all my prior transcripts?
Yes. Temple University requires official transcripts of all colleges and universities attended.

Requirements for Admission:

Do I need to take the TOEFL exam?
Any student who does not have a baccalaureate degree that was taught in English needs to take the TOEFEL.

What should be included in my professional portfolio?
You should include an updated CV, a statement describing your career goals and how this degree will help you achieve this goal. An example of some professional writing that you have created on your job is also welcome.

Will my application for admission be considered if I am still taking course work or have to take my GREs or TOEFL examination?
We encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible so that you can be considered for your preferred semester for admission. If you are still taking classes in preparation for entering graduate school, please submit all official transcripts for any colleges from which you have completed work. You may submit unofficial transcripts from colleges or universities at which you are currently enrolled. If you are waiting to take the GRE or TOEFL , please inform us of the date you are scheduled to sit for the examination. We will review your application and your admission will be contingent upon your successful completion of those courses and/or exams.

How do I submit recommendations?
Please request that your evaluator email a scanned copy of Temple's reference form to  The evaluator may also route a hard copy to the Health Services Administration and Policy Department office, although this approach is not preferred and may delay the prompt processing of an application while the paper document is in transit.

Do I need a prior faculty member as a recommendation?
No. Although many applicants do ask prior faculty members for evaluations, professional recommendations are accepted and encouraged.

Courses for Personal Enrichment:

Can I take a course in the MS in Health Informatics program for personal enrichment?
A student may enroll in a course in the program for personal enrichment with permission of the instructor.

International Students:

Who do I speak to about visa issues?
Please contact the International office at Main Campus at

When do I need a TOEFL exam and what is the acceptable score?
Information pertaining to the Graduate School's requirements for and acceptable scores for the TOEFL exam are available on the International Applications page.

Are there scholarships available for international students?
Please contact the International office at Main Campus at

Do I need to get my transcripts evaluated?
Information pertaining to the Graduate School's requirement for international transcript documentation can be found at

Admission Policies:

How many courses may I take as a non-matriculated student?
A student may take up to 9 credits as a non-matriculated student with prior approval by the MS in Health Informatics Admissions Committee. Any pre-requisite information for the course will apply. Any additional credits taken over the 9 credits will not apply towards the degree. You should have your application ready midway through the third course.

How does the admission process work?
Interested candidates in the program must complete the online application through Banner and must include a career development statement, resume or CV, 2 recommendations, and transcripts from all colleges attended. Once the recommendation is complete and submitted online, your application will be reviewed by the MS in Health Informatics Admissions Committee. Based on your qualifications, a recommendation will be made to the Graduate School. You will receive a notification of the university's decision.

How do I submit an application?
Applications are to be submitted online to Temple's Banner program. (Click on the Banner link to access Temple's online system Banner). You will be asked to create a username and the password and PIN will be sent to you. Complete the form online. You can submit your resume, your career goals essay, as well as your recommendations online, as well.

How long do I have to complete this graduate program?
A student has five years from the time of matriculation to complete a graduate degree.

Is there an application deadline for Fall admissions?
There is no application deadline for the Fall semester. However, applications received prior to March 31 will be given priority. Applications received after March 31 will be processed based on available space. Applications are currently being accepted on line.

Program Logistics:

When and where will courses be offered?
The program is designed to be a part-time program for working professionals. Classes are available online and in person at Temple University's Center City campus in Philadelphia. The capstone course HIM 9995 is a hybrid format with five Saturday classes.