Temple University

Top Watermark

Student FAQ

General Questions 

How do I register for classes? All students under good academic standing can register for classes through TUPortal . Students that are on academic warning or probation must contact your advisor directly to schedule an appointment.

How can I find out my academic status? Any student that has above a 2.0 is considered in good academic standing. Continuously checking your DARS will help make sure you are meeting all requirements for your major. Students that are on academic warning or probation must contact your advisor directly to schedule an appointment.

How do I apply for graduation? Students should be aware of the deadlines for each upcoming semester’s graduation application deadlines if it pertains to you directly. Deadlines will be posted within each department detailing these dates. Applications can be completed within TUPortal under Student Records.

How do I change my major to CPH? Students interested in transferring to CPH must complete the Change of Program process, which includes the following steps:

  1. Step One: You must confirm that you have a cumulative and previous semester GPA of 2.0 or higher in order to be eligible for a Change of Program. If you do not have a cumulative and previous semester GPA of 2.0, you will not be able to transfer to the College of Public Health. If you do not have a 2.0 GPA at this time, you should meet with an advisor in your current college to create an academic plan to improve your GPA prior to your transfer.  
  2. Step Two: Please review this Change of Program presentation.
  3. Step Three: Complete a brief quiz which will test your knowledge of the information covered in the video. You must answer each question correctly in order to complete the process. You can take the test more than once.
  4. Step Four: Within a week, you will receive an official College of Public Health Change of Program Form via email. It is the student’s responsibility to get that form to the advisor of their intended major.  Your change of program will not be complete until you submit this form. Please note that this form is not available online. After submitting the form, you will then be able to make an appointment with your advisor if you need to register/revise your schedule for the upcoming semester.

What happens after I submit the form? Your request to transfer to the College of Public Health will then be reviewed to ensure that you are eligible for transfer. If you have completed all the steps above and have a cumulative and previous semester GPA of 2.0 or higher, your request will be forwarded to the Office of the University Registrar for processing and may take 5 to 7 business days to be finalized. You will receive e-mail notification from the Office of the University Registrar once your Change of Program is complete. Your Change of Program is effective for the semester after you apply.  Your major will change but the tuition increase will not go into effect until the following semester. 

*Please note: Students also must be aware that there will be a tuition increase for transferring to CPH (with the exception of intended Social Work majors).  Additionally, students interested in transferring into Nursing or Health Information Management (HIM) are not eligible for the Change of Program process.  Information about the application process and access to the application itself can be obtained by clicking on the major of your choice above. CPH follows Temple University's policy to not process Change of Major requests in the months of August and January.

How do I change my major out of CPH? Students interested in transferring out of CPH are encouraged to contact the intended College for their specific Change of Major process and requirements.

I left CPH, how do I re-enroll? Formally known as readmission, any student that has been out of school for one semester must complete and submit a Re-Enrollment form and submitted to the department in which you are seeking enrollment. Please note: Any student that noted “Financial” must be sure to clear all holds or they will be denied until their financial holds have been resolved. Additionally, any student that has stated “Health Related” must submit a medical clearance form from a health professional along with the re-enrollment form on physician letter head and original signature with contact information clearing student to return to the University.

Re-Enrollment Dates:

  • May 1st until August 1st for the fall semester
  • September 1st until Decmber 1st for the spring semester
  • January 1st until April 1st for summer sessions
  • Applications received during the months of August, December and April will not be processed nor held for any subsequent terms and must be resubmitted during the above timelines.

What is the process for a leave of absence? Any student that anticipates being out of school for one semester or more for either financial, medical/health, personal, military or employment purposes must apply for a Leave of Absence Petition no later than the second week of the semester. To do so, a student must:

  1. Sign into TUPortal.
  2. Under the TUapplications heading, click Enrollment Services.
  3. In Enrollment Services, click Services.
  4. In the Services menu, select Leave of Absence.
  5. Student will receive a confirmation email from the Registrar's Office.

During this time, if accepted, students will be permitted to retain access to email, registration, and maintain the University requirements set forth at the time of the first semester at Temple University.

Also at this time, students become noted as “not enrolled” on all status requests, which could affect housing, insurance, etc. and are financial aid ineligible.

Minor/Certificate Questions

Why Should I Declare a Minor or Certificate? Minors, along with certificates, are increasingly popular as students try to master multiple subjects on the way to flexible careers or future education. Having a secondary area of study can signal to a job interviewer that you have concrete expertise. It can also set you apart from other graduate school applicants. H​owever, it is important to talk to your CPH advisor to find out what minors and certificates would work best for you and your program.  

How is a Minor different from a Certificate? A ​minor i​s a designated sequence of courses in a discipline or area of undergraduate study. It is typically 18-24 credit hours and is independent of the student’s major. A certificate i​s an academic program in which the student completes a prescribed course of study, typically 12-17 credits. Like a minor, it is offered to students outside of the major. It may also be offered to non-degree seeking students. 

How do I declare a CPH minor? All students considering a minor are strongly advised to first consult with their home advisor and the CPH section of the Temple Undergraduate Bulletin prior to declaring a minor to review all requirements. Once a student has assured that the minor is achievable with their current major all students must fill out a Change of Program form and submit (with any supplemental contracts required by department) to the desired minor’s academic advisor for posting to your student record.

How do I declare a non-CPH minor? Current CPH students must first meet with their academic advisors to make sure that adding a minor to their current academic plan is realistic. Please keep in mind that adding minors without consulting with an advisor first could result in the delay of graduation and/or effect sequencing and expected credit hours for a given semester. Once students have met with their home advisor and are able to make an informed decision they are directed to the intended school for their specific requirements in declaring a minor.