The School of Social Work offers life-long learning through our Continuing Education Program. No matter what your interests or career goals are, you'll gain the knowledge you need from CE courses taught by Temple's renowned social work professors and other recognized practitioners and leaders in the field.
Temple University School of Social Work has been designated as a pre-approved provider of professional continuing education for social workers by the Pennsylvania State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors.
All continuing education courses are currently offered in person only. Courses are typically offered at Temple University Center City Campus or Temple University Ambler Campus. Requests for accommodations for individuals who have disabilities can be made by contacting our continuing education office. Paper certificates denoting continuing education clock hours are provided to students, who actively participate in the entire course (from start to finish) and who submit a completed course evaluation form, at the conclusion of the course. All grievances should be reported promptly to our continuing education office.
Do you need Continuing Education Contact Hours to qualify for licensure renewal? If so, please click here to see a listing of all current courses. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Continuing Education Certificate Programs
Some licensed social workers desire to concentrate their continuing education contact hours in a specific field of social work practice to bolster their depth of knowledge. For such individuals, we currently offer two certificate programs: certificate in military counseling and certificate in medical social work. Each certificate requires a total of 24 continuing education clock hours—which is eight 3-hour courses. Students notify the continuing education office that they have completed the requirements for the certificate; after verifying requirement completion, the Continuing Education office mails a certificate to the student. Check back often, as we are currently developing two additional certificate programs.
Requirements for Certificate in Military Counseling (courses may be taken in any order)
Complete Three Required Courses:
- Military Counseling I: Introduction to Clinical and Ethical Practice
- Military Counseling II: Military Culture 101—Implications for Clinical Treatment
- Military Counseling II: The Invisible Wounds of War
Complete Five of the Following Elective Courses:
- Military Counseling IV: The Family Fortress
- Military Counseling V: Clinical Work with Military Children and Families
- Military Counseling VI: Working with Military Couples and Partners
- Military Counseling VII: Women Warriors
- Military Counseling VIII: Military Healthcare and Community Response
- Self-Care and Vicarious Trauma: Taking Care of Yourself While Taking Care of Others
- Cognitive Processing Therapy
- Trauma and Neurobiology I
- Trauma and Neurobiology II
Requirements for Certificate in Medical Social Work (courses may be taken in any order)
Complete Five Required Courses:
- Nuts and Bolts of Medical Social Work: Understanding the Healthcare Delivery System
- Illness and Disease: What a Medical Social Worker Needs to Know
- Medical Terminology for Social Workers
- Social Workers and Patient Navigation: Opportunities for Addressing Health Disparities
- Medical Ethics for Social Workers
Complete Three of the Following Elective Courses:
- Social Workers in End of Life Care
- Social Work in Oncology
- Psychological Treatments and Obesity
- Social Work with Older Adults
- Integrated Behavioral Health in Primary Care I
- Integrated Behavioral Health in Primary Care II
School of Social Work LSW/LCSW Examination Preparation Course
This day-long prep course assists participants in developing successful test-taking strategies and reviews material in each of the content areas on the LSW and LCSW examinations.
December 8, 2018 from 9 a.m to 4 p.m. at Temple University Center City Campus
Course presented by Celeste Vaughan-Briggs
Tuition: $99 for non-TUSSW alumni; $79 for TUSSW alumni or Temple-affiliated individuals